As before, I first spatchcocked (butterflied) the chicken.
OnPoint Peruvian Chicken with Jamaican Jerk Spice
Spatchcocked Peruvian Chicken with Jamaican Jerk Spice, grilled on a Kamado Joe Ceramic Cooker
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 6 LB chicken (Wegmans)
- Chicken Marinade: (from food.com)
- 1½ TBS garlic power
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS and 1 Tsp ground cumin
- 4 TBS white vinegar
- 2½ TBS paprika
- 2 Tsp black pepper
- 3 TBS white wine
- 3 TBS vegetable oil
- 1½ TBS of Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk
- Spatchcock Chicken with poultry shears. i.e. Put bird breast down and cut out backbone, flatten and turn back over.
- Wash bird with cold water then lemon water (juice of one lemon and 2 cups cold water). Pat dry and use fork to poke holes all over. Then cover with marinade (see below) and let sit in fridge for 8 hours (overnight is preferred). Note: I also put the marinade under on the breast meat.
- If possible take out of bag and return to fridge for a few hours to help dry up the skin. Take bird out of fridge 1 hour before grilling to bring temp up a bit.
- Preheat Kamado Joe to 350, grilled under direct heat using the grill extender accessory to keep the bird from being too close to the coals
- Grilled breast side down for 15 minutes to brown the breast a bit, then flipped over and cooked for about 1 hour at 350-400 until breast temp was 165. About 1 hour . Removed from heat and and let rest before carving (20 minutes).
- Also grilled up some russet (baking) potatoes. Brushed with Olive Oil and grilled with chicken.
- Carve up and Serve...Enjoy...
Chicken was OnPoint....